Decorative Drink Napkins

Sometimes it is very cool the way the universe provides just the thing you need at a given time! After making a few of my crochet drink napkins, I started thinking of ways to dress them up a little. A few days later I received an email from another blog I follow with cool ideas for edging! Synchronicity!

I got one of my ideas from Stitch11. I used the Cute Bobble Edging for my first variation, but there are a few other smaller edgings in the list that would work well too.

Cute Bobble Edging via Lullaby Lodge
To add the Cute Bobble Edging, you first have to make a crochet drink napkin. If you want the overall size of the napkin with the edging to be about 5" like the original napkin pattern, you will have to make your base napkin a little smaller. I made mine approximately 4" square to allow for about 1/2" of edging on all sides. To make it this size, I crocheted 16 rows increasing and 16 rows decreasing (instead of 20 and 20 in the original pattern). Then I followed the directions for the Cute Bobble Edging. For the first round, work 1 single crochet in the end of each row of the napkin, and 3 sc in each corner stitch.

I really love this edging because it looks great on both sides, just like the plain napkins!


The second decorative edging I tried was a V-stitch Picot edging. I found this one through Moogly, another blog I follow. I used a single round of V-stitch and then the picot. I didn't want the edging to get too wide and overpower the rest of the napkin. I think it turned out quite nice!


V-stitch Picot Edging
For this one I also made the base napkin 4" square or 16 rows of increase and 16 rows of decrease. To get the right stitch count for the v-stitch in this border, you need a multiple of 3 plus 1 stitch. You can adjust by adding an extra single crochet to each edge in the first round, but I wouldn't recommend adding more than 1, maybe 2 stitches. My final napkin as pictured was closer to 6" square. I should have started with a square about 3" or 13 rows of increase/decrease (or a total of 26 rows).

Once again you start by working one single crochet in the end of each row. The corners are worked a little differently - with a sc, ch2, sc in each corner stitch. From there, follow the directions in the link.





You could easily add crocheted edging to the knit version of my drink napkins as well. Again you would want to cast on a smaller number of stitches to start, but make sure you use an odd number of stitches for the pattern to work.

As always, be sure to share your finished project on Instagram @yarnmare. I would really love to see all the creative versions of these napkins!

Copyright © 2019 Sharon Hansen/Yarnmare
www.yarnmare.blogspot.com  |  facebook.com/yarnmare  |  Instagram @yarnmare
The pattern and photographs of this design are the property of Sharon Hansen/Yarnmare. This pattern and design are subject to copyright, and are for personal, non-commercial use only. You may not distribute or sell this pattern or any items created using the directions in this pattern without consent. Please email yarnmare@gmail.com with any questions.

Comments

Popular Posts