World Traveler Scarf

Last week I finally picked up a skein of Shawl in a Ball that I got during Lion Brand's five for $10 sale. (Regular price is about $10 EACH!) I've been wanting to design a scarf, and after trolling the Nordstroms website, noticing that microstripes are popular now, I started crocheting stripes. I absolutely loved the way this scarf looked and felt, so I kept going.

I'm all about feel. I have seen plenty of garments that look great, but when you put them on they are completely uncomfortable. The same goes for certain fabrics or crochet textures. I used the woven stitch for this scarf because I was looking for a lightweight fabric that was not lacy. Many of the scarves I saw at Nordstroms were woven, so it just made sense. As I worked on the scarf I noticed that the fabric really felt woven! It has very little stretch lengthwise and the feel was perfect!

I realized that if I crocheted the whole scarf and then added fringe, the fringe would be a different color that the stripes. I wasn't about to clip out pieces of yarn as I worked. I had to come up with a way to give the fringe the same color as the row to which it was attached. In other words, I knew I had to make the fringe part of the scarf and not an afterthought. That's when I came up with the idea of making loops at the end of each row that could be cut at the end to form the fringe. Testing demonstrated that I would need to make loops at the beginning and end of each row to create enough fringe to look good.

A week later and here it is! It is such an easy piece to work on, and feeling the texture as I went was enough to keep me going. I also love watching the color change as I go, and in this scarf the color is slightly different on each row. I'm normally not a fan of lots of bright colors together, but the perfect rainbow of this scarf will make a great pop of color for almost any of my outfits. It definitely looks great with my black jacket! I didn't even realize it until after the fact, but what a great way to show pride or support for the LGBT community!

This is a great beginner pattern! It only requires chain and single crochet, and I have created a photo tutorial to show how to make the fringe.

As always, you can find an ad-free, printable pdf in my Etsy shop. You can add this pattern to your Ravelry queue here.

Pick up a skein of Lion Brand Shawl in a Ball in Restful Rainbow and a size H/8 (5 mm) crochet hook and lets get started!




World Traveler Scarf
Crochet Pattern

The World Traveler Scarf is a simple crochet piece using only single crochet and chain. It is worked in the woven stitch which gives it a truly woven look and feel. The fringe is worked during the crochet process, so it matches the stripes perfectly, adding to the woven look. The bright colors of this scarf are reminiscent of the type of item you might find at an international bazaar.

This scarf is crocheted from a single skein of Lion Brand Shawl in a Ball in the color Restful Rainbow. It works up pretty quick, making it a great last minute addition to your fall wardrobe, or a great gift. There are also absolutely no ends to weave in! The beginning and ending tail become part of the fringe.

Difficulty

Materials
Lion Brand Shawl in a Ball (5.3 oz/150 g; 481 yds/440 m): 1 skein in Restful Rainbow (#201)
Size H/8 (5.00 mm) crochet hook
Scissors to cut fringe loops

   

Gauge
Gauge is unimportant for this item, but to get the same size as described:
21 stitches in woven stitch (including ch 1 spaces) = 4” (10 cm)
22 rows in woven stitch = 4” (10 cm)

Finished Size
Finished scarf measures approximately 7” (18 cm) wide and 60” (152 cm) long

Instructions are written using standard US abbreviations. 
Ch - chain
Sc - single crochet
MF - make fringe (see instructions below)

Special Stitch
To maintain the color in the fringe on the scarf, a fringe loop will be made at the beginning and end of each row. To make the fringe, follow the instructions and photo tutorial below. 

Make Fringe (MF): Ch 1 and pull 2nd chain tight into knot as if to fasten off. Pull up a loop approximately 3” for fringe. Tie a single knot with fringe and working yarn to keep loop in place. Insert hook into previous stitch to continue work.

How to make the fringe:

Step 1: Chain 1 and pull tight as if to fasten off.

 Step 2: Pull up a loop approximately 3” or desired length of your fringe.



Step 3: Tie a single knot to hold loop in place. One MF made.
Step 4: Insert hook into last stitch worked and pull up a loop. Ch 1. 

Step 5: Make another fringe before continuing down the next row. Chain 1 and pull tight as if to fasten off. 


Step 6: Tie loop and working yarn in a single knot. Second MF made.

Step 7: Insert hook into chain space between fringes. Pull up a loop.


Step 8: Single crochet into first stitch from row below. Continue to work next row.


Instructions
Ch 300. Make fringe (MF). Insert hook into last chain before fringe and pull up a loop, MF. Insert hook into sp between MFs and pull up a loop.
Row 1: Sc into last chain made before first MF. *Ch 1, sk 1 ch, sc in next ch. Repeat from * across. Sc in last ch. MF. Turn.
Row 2: Insert hook into last sc and pull up a loop. Ch 1; MF. Insert hook into loop between MFs and pull up a loop. Sc in first st. *Ch 1, sk next sc, sc in next ch 1 sp. Repeat from * to end of row. Sc in last sc. MF. Turn.

Repeat Row 2 until scarf is desired width or you run out of yarn. 

Cut loops for fringe and trim to even length (or leave them uneven - the choice is yours!). No need to weave in ends, they are part of the fringe.


As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

Copyright © 2019 Sharon Hansen/Yarnmare
www.yarnmare.blogspot.com  |  facebook.com/yarnmare  |  Instagram @yarnmare
The pattern and photographs of this design are the property of Sharon Hansen/Yarnmare. This pattern and design are subject to copyright, and are for personal, non-commercial use only. You may not distribute or sell this pattern or any items created using the directions in this pattern without consent. Please email yarnmare@gmail.com with any questions.


Comments

  1. This is a very beautiful scarf, it is on my list of projects to do. I have read through the pattern but not quite understanding how to do the fringe and stitches at the beginning and end of each row. Would there happen to be a video to show how this is done to make it more clear for confused people like me? Thank you very much for your time and beautiful patterns.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts