Midnight Breeze Cowl


A few years ago I was working on this super cool project (which I have yet to finish) that involved a very open knit stitch and lace weight yarn. I had some chunky yarn laying around from making a blanket for my youngest son's girlfriend for Christmas, and I had just received my extra large knitting needles - size 50! For some reason I thought, "what would this stitch look like super large?" I think I was bored with the much longer project I was working on. So I tried it - and this is the result!

This is the original scarf
I recently remade the scarf/cowl (because I couldn't remember what brand of yarn I used and I wanted to share the pattern). I used Lion Brand Hometown USA in Milwaukee Midnight. The result was even more beautiful than the original. I hung it on the chair a little different, but it is exactly the same size.


I love wearing this scarf! It is not too warm, feels very elegant, and it is just the right size to wrap twice to wear as a cowl or let it hang down as more of an infinity scarf. Either way looks great. Wine makes it look even better! (Yes, I was using a glass of wine as a prop for this photo shoot - doesn't it improve the image?)

 

This is my first posted knitting pattern. I haven't been knitting as long, so I hope the pattern is understandable. Please leave me some feedback in the comments. I want to know what you think of this pattern!

Also, if you would like to purchase a printable PDF of this pattern, you can get it here.

Midnight Breeze Cowl
Knitting Pattern

The Midnight Breeze Cowl is a very loosely knit cowl that can also be worn as a scarf. It uses purl stitch with yarn over to create an open fabric that drapes beautifully. The cowl is knit flat using a single skein of super bulky yarn and very large needles, and then the ends are stitched together. It knits up very quickly.


Notes
Cowl is knit flat from one end to the other, and then the ends are seamed together. The ends can be knit together straight, or a half-twist can be incorporated before seaming. Stitches involved are knit, purl, purl two together, and yarn over.

Size
Because of the very loose knit, it is difficult to get accurate sizing information. When laid out flat it measures roughly 50” (127 cm) long (25" when doubled as shown) and 12“ (30 cm) wide.

Materials
Lion Brand Hometown USA (4 oz/113 g; 64 yds/59 m) - 1 skein of #224 Milwaukee Midnight
Size US 50 (25 mm) knitting needles. Cowl is knit in back and forth rows, so circular or straight will work.
Large yarn needle

Gauge
Gauge is not important for this cowl. Because of the large size of the needles, tension will not alter gauge enough to make a difference in the finished cowl.

Abbreviations
Standard US abbreviations are used in this pattern.
k - knit
p - purl
p2tog - purl 2 stitches together
yo - yarn over

Instructions
CO 14 stitches using a knitted cast on.
Row 1: k1, *yo, p2tog. Repeat from * to end of row. K last stitch. (Note: the first yarn over involves bringing the yarn to the front as if to purl, then wrapping the yarn over the needle and back to the front to continue with the next purl stitch. For each additional yo, bring yarn over the needle and then back to the front to purl next stitch.)

Repeat Row 1 until skein of yarn is nearly gone. Piece will be approximately 48” (122 cm). You will need enough to bind off and seam the ends together. BO using a basic bind off by knitting each stitch and each yo separately. K1, *k1, insert the left needle into the first stitch worked, pass it over the other stitch and off the needle; repeat from *. Fasten off.

Hold ends together straight or twist one end of the cowl one-half twist. Stitch together using a whip stitch. Weave in ends.

Copyright © 2019 Sharon Hansen/Yarnmare
www.yarnmare.blogspot.com  |  facebook.com/yarnmare  |  Instagram @yarnmare

The pattern and photographs of this design are the property of Sharon Hansen/Yarnmare. This pattern and design are subject to copyright, and are for personal, non-commercial use only. You may not distribute or sell this pattern or any items created using the directions in this pattern without consent. Please email yarnmare@gmail.com with any questions.



Comments

Popular Posts