Homespun Infinity Scarf


I'm really getting into designing new projects. I went out and bought a whole variety of yarn to play with. My process (granted I'm new to this) is to pick a yarn, pick a stitch, and make a swatch to see what the fabric feels like - and more importantly, to see if it inspires me.


One of the yarns I picked up was Lion Brand Homespun Thick and Quick. I've used the regular Homespun yarn before, and I like it for certain types of projects. Thick and Quick seemed like a whole other animal. I crocheted a variety of samples, but nothing really jumped out at me, so I put it down for a while. In the process of playing around with different stitches in different yarns, the idea finally struck. This stuff would make a great scarf/cowl - as long as I use an open stitch. I tried it out with knitting first (pattern to come soon), and was trying to create a similar texture in crochet - so I could offer the knit version and the crochet version. Well, here is the crochet version!


It was a wonderfully stormy day yesterday, and I thought the clouds matched this scarf so well, so I handed my husband my camera and told him we need to take pictures. He's actually a really good photographer! Once I had the pictures and the written pattern, this post was ready to go!


You can purchase a printable pdf of this pattern in my Etsy shop. Or if you want me to make one for you, see the listing for the made to order version. I have new yarns arriving soon, and will offer it in various colors once I get those photographs taken.

Let's get crocheting!



Homespun Infinity Scarf

Crochet Pattern





The Homespun Infinity Scarf is crocheted from one end to the other, then a single twist is added before stitching the ends together. The only stitches used are single crochet and chain. The sc are worked in the center of the sc below, creating a strong vertical line with fewer loose strands.


Difficulty

Instructions are written using standard US abbreviations.
Sc - single crochet
Ch - chain
Sk ch 1 sp - skip chain 1 space

Materials
Lion Brand Homespun Thick and Quick (8 oz/227 g; 160 yd/146 m): 1 skein of Granite Stripes (211 )
Size Q/17 (15.75 mm) crochet hook
Yarn needle (for stitching ends together)

Gauge
In pattern, 6 st = 4” and 6 rows = 4”

Finished Size
Finished scarf is approximately 8.5” (21.6 cm) wide and 72” (183 cm) long (circumference).

Instructions
Ch 14.
Row 1: Sc in 2nd chain from hook. *Ch 1, sk 1 ch, sc in next ch. Repeat from * to end of chain. Turn.
Row 2: Do NOT ch 1 at beginning of row. Sc in center of 1st sc in row below. Check the back of your work as you insert the hook to make sure you are through the center of the stitch from both sides. *Ch 1, sk ch 1 sp, sc in center of next sc. Repeat from * across. Turn.
Repeat Row 2 until piece measures approximately 72” or desired length. You should use most of the skein of yarn. Do not fasten off.

Assembly
To connect the ends of the scarf, lay it flat and match up last row with first row. Now twist one end a single half-twist. Cut yarn, leaving a tail about two to three scarf widths long. Using yarn needle, whip stitch ends together. Fasten off, weave in ends.

Copyright © 2019 Sharon Hansen/Yarnmare
www.yarnmare.blogspot.com | facebook.com/yarnmare | Instagram @yarnmare

The pattern and photographs of this design are the property of Sharon Hansen/Yarnmare. This pattern and design are subject to copyright, and are for personal, non-commercial use only. You may not distribute or sell this pattern or any items created using the directions in this pattern without consent. Please email yarnmare@gmail.com with any questions.



Comments

Popular Posts